[seqfan] Re: Need help with an old b-file (for A071268)

Georg.Fischer georg.fischer at t-online.de
Fri Jan 4 19:54:56 CET 2019

Dear Neil,

there now is:
<http://teherba.org/OEIS-mat/bfcheck/b071268.txt>
which I generated with the PARI code,
as described in the header of the file.

THe PARI code runs instantly fast. I could
run the two Mathematica programs only up to
a(9), what took some time, and then Mathematica
claimed for more memory for higher n on my Raspi.

But the difference with the old b-file
<http://teherba.org/OEIS-mat/bfcheck/b071268.old>
starts at a(10). My file coincides at least up to a(15)
with the DATA section. I trusted the PARI thereafter.

Please go ahead and send me the complete list of
Martin Pedersen, maybe with some hint how he did it,
and/or his email.

HTH, and best regards - Georg

Am 04.01.2019 um 18:55 schrieb Neil Sloane:
> When a b-file is added to a sequence then, Yes, the system checks if it
> matches the data lines.
>
> But if there are errors in later terms (as was the case in Librandi's
> incorrect b-file) it cannot check that.
>
> And  - another source of errors - if the sequence is later recycled , it
> can leave a b-file behind on the server
> which will be used to graph the new sequence which gets the A-number.  As
> you know, someone then needs to tell me or Charles to delete the b-file
> from the server.
>
> This is especially common when people submit a b-file before the sequence
> is approved.
>
> Best regards
> Neil
>
> Neil J. A. Sloane, President, OEIS Foundation.
> Email: njasloane at gmail.com
>

> On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 12:38 PM Joerg Arndt <arndt at jjj.de> wrote:
>
>> Q: Did I ever mention that basic checks on b-files should be
>> done by the machinery?
>>
>> A: Yes, years ago.
>>
>> Best regards, grumpily,   jj
>>

>> * Neil Sloane <njasloane at gmail.com> [Jan 04. 2019 18:34]:
>>> Dear Seq Fans, Martin Pedersen has identified several hundred sequences
>>> that have bad b-files.  I just solved the first one by simply deleting
>> the
>>> bad b-file on the server.
>>>
>>> The next one is more complicated, A071268.  It had a bad program and a
>> bad
>>> b-file, both from Vincenzo Librarndi in 2011.  The bad program and the
>> link
>>> to the bad b-file were deleted in 2016, but the bad b-file itself was not
>>> removed from the server.
>>>
>>> So when you look at the graph, you see the bad values.  I could simply
>>> delete the bad b-file from the server.
>>>
>>> But it really needs a correct b-file - and the present Data values should
>>> be checked, if someone would like to help. That is, check A071268 and
>> add a
>>> b-file.
>>>
>>> If someone can take care of this, please post a note here when the job is
>>> done.
>>>
>>> Also, if people would like to help doing the same thing for other
>> sequences
>>> with bad b-files, send me an email.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Neil
>>>
>>> Neil J. A. Sloane, President, OEIS Foundation.
>>> 11 South Adelaide Avenue, Highland Park, NJ 08904, USA.
>>> Also Visiting Scientist, Math. Dept., Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ.
>>> Phone: 732 828 6098; home page: http://NeilSloane.com
>>> Email: njasloane at gmail.com
>>>
>>> --

Dr. Georg Fischer, Rotteckring 19, D-79341 Kenzingen
Tel. (07644) 913016, +49 175 160 7788, www.punctum.com