[seqfan] Re: Help with a(n) and a cumulative sum

David Seal david.j.seal at gwynmop.com
Tue Jul 16 01:07:35 CEST 2019

With regard to:

> The question is, do we know there is an infinite one that begins
> 1,2,3,5,4,6,7 (say)?  If so, then we would know the first 7 terms for
> certain. ...

Would we? Or would we only know them on the assumption that the sequence exists at all?

E.g. consider the description "the lexicographically earliest strictly increasing sequence of strictly positive integers that is not the sequence defined by a(n) = n", we know that there is a strictly increasing sequence of strictly positive integers that is not the sequence defined by a(n) = n which starts 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, for example the sequence defined by a(n) = n if n <= 7, a(n) = n+1 otherwise, and we also know that the first seven terms of any such sequence cannot be lexicographically earlier than 1,2,3,4,5,6,7.

But that doesn't establish that the first seven terms of the sequence described by "the lexicographically earliest strictly increasing sequence of strictly positive integers that is not the sequence defined by a(n) = n" are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, but only that if that description defined a sequence, it would start 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. And in fact that description does not define a sequence, because no matter which such sequence I give, I can find a lexicographically smaller such sequence by constructing one that deviates from a(n) = n at a later value of n.

David