[seqfan] Re: linear recurrence multiples

Fred Lunnon fred.lunnon at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 19:59:45 CEST 2019

  PROPOSITION:  Given some arbitrary integer  m , together with some
linear recurrence of order  r  with integer coefficients: then there
exists an integer linear recurrence of order  2 r  generating the same
sequences, with central coefficient equal to  m .

  Sketch proof:
The initial recurrence acting on sequence  S(n) ,

    a_0 S(n) + a_1 S(n+1) + ... + a_r S(n+r)  =  0 ,

may be rewritten in "umbral" notation in the form  P(E) S_n = 0 ,
where polynomial

    P(E)  =  a_0 + a_1 E + ... + a_r E^r ,

and  E  (uppercase epsilon) traditionally denotes the shift operator
defined by  E S(n) = S(n+1) .

  LEMMA:  Given  P(E)  generating  S(n) , and  Q(E)  some arbitrary
integer polynomial: then their polynomial product  P(E) Q(E)  also
generates  S(n) .

  Now suppose

    Q(E)  =  b_0 + b_1 E + ... + b_r E^r ,

so that the central term of  P(E) Q(E)  is

    c_r E^r  =  ( a_r b_0 + ... a_(r-j) b_j + ... + a_0 b_r ) E^r .

Since  P(E)  denotes an integer recurrence, it can be assumed that
GCD(a_0, ...,a_r) = 1 ; indeed, if  S(n)  is an integer sequence we
can set  a_r = -1 .  Therefore by the "chinese remainder theorem",
equation  c_r = m  in unknowns  b_0, ...,b_r  has a solution
in integers (which can furthermore be calculated efficiently).  QED.

  I'll leave the matter at that for now, as it remains unclear to me
whether your notion of "formula" encompasses extra constraints which
you have yet to articulate.

Fred Lunnon