[seqfan] Re: Finding the longest period Life-patterns on nxn toroidal board?

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 04:22:43 CEST 2019

This is a job for the Frobenius-Burnside-Cauchy-Polya counting formula. I
am sure this sequence is in OEIS.

[pauses for 15 minutes to work it out]

OK, after working out F(4) = 34 by hand, I found A222187, "Number of
toroidal n X 2 binary arrays ...", which counts the number of cases we have
to try to find the longest-lived Life pattern on such an array. It doesn't
tell us how to enumerate them, though.