[seqfan] Re: Finding the longest period Life-patterns on nxn toroidal board?

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 15:38:53 CEST 2019

Explicit enumeration is harder, indeed. I have not been able to do much
better than the following:

Each underlying configuration can be represented as an MxN rectangle of
bits in a number of ways. Each way can be read as a string of MN bits, and
then interpreted as a binary integer. Select as canonical the
representation with the smallest such reading.

Now iterate over the 2^MN representations, produce the underlying
configuration, and star "reading" it in all the possible ways, comparing
the resulting values with the original. If you find any representation
whose value is less than the original, discard the original and go on to
the next representation. But if the original value turns out to be the
smallest possible, then it is canonical and should be listed.

This astronomical double loop can be optimized in many ways, but I don't
think the basic idea can be improved.