[seqfan] Re: Getting an integer sequence for a specific song

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 16:29:51 CEST 2019

Felix,

I would say there has to be a good scientific reason to include
a song as a sequence in the OEIS.

When we first set up the procedure for converting a sequence to sounds,
David Applegate and I made one example as a test case, a proof-of-concept,
which is Fuer Elise.  We took the main thread of the music, and converted
it to A123456 (easy to remember).  If you compare the data for the entry
with the musical score,
you can see what we did.

You could also look at (I quote from the "listen" page of any sequence:

For other ways to listen to sequences, try Jonathan Middleton's   [image:
Music Algorithms] <http://musicalgorithms.ewu.edu/algorithms/import.html>
web site.

One acceptable reason for including a piece of music as a sequence would be
if the music is based on mathematical concepts.  Some of Bach's music might
qualify,
although at present we have no sequences based on Bach's compositions.
We do have these examples:
A056239 <https://oeis.org/play?seq=A056239> (Karl Aage Rasmussen) A004718
<https://oeis.org/play?seq=A004718> (Per Noergaard)
Both are well-known Scandinavian contemporary composers.

Sequence fan Michael Nyvang <human at michaelnyvang.com>
who presently lives in Paris is our unofficial music consultant.

I will make an entry in the FAQ file on the wiki for this Q and A.

Best regards
Neil

Email: njasloane at gmail.com