[seqfan] Re: Comment about A002822

Peter Luschny peter.luschny at gmail.com
Fri May 24 17:19:47 CEST 2019

RI> I agree that it is not efficient, but neither is Wilson's theorem.
RI> That shouldn't disqualify it from being mentioned in a comment.

Or even more blatant: Should we disallow likewise to mention
the recurrence of the factorial function? Aside from the remarkable
algorithm of Moessner this is perhaps the most inefficient method
to calculate the factorial. But it is mentioned in almost every
CS course, and not without good reason.

Efficiency is not a fetish. However we should prevent such
formulas from being used as an implementation. This has
certainly not been sufficiently observed in the past.
As one can see for instance the factorial recurrence is used
several times in the scripts of A000142.

Peter