[seqfan] Re: Monotonic ordering of nonnegative differences

Max Alekseyev maxale at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 18:33:15 CEST 2019

Hi Neil,

I'd like to comment on A173671 -- there was "search limit" in my submission.
I now see such a limit in a code submitted by someone else, but this simply
means that this code may produce incorrect results.

I know two methods of proving that 3^m-2^n=k for a given k is insoluble in
m,k.
First is to find a suitable M (if it exists) such that the
congruence 3^m-2^n == k (mod M) is insoluble (which is easy to verify).

Second is to find the integral points on the following 6 elliptic curves
corresponding to residues of m and n modulo 2 and 3, respectively:
y^2 = x^3 + k
y^2 = 2x^3 + k
y^2 = 4x^3 + k
3y^2 = x^3 + k
3y^2 = 2x^3 + k
3y^2 = 4x^3 + k
If in none of the integral points y is a power of 3 and x is a power of 2,
then 3^m-2^n=k does not have integer solutions in m,n.
Computing integral points in many cases can done routinely in
Sage/Magma/etc.

So, I did prove the numbers in my submission A173671, but I cannot say much
about the later-on additions (e.g., b-file) though.

Regards,
Max