[seqfan] Re: Arabic Poetry Sequences

bradklee at gmail.com bradklee at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 06:57:32 CEST 2019

Neil,

Granted, I could be mistaken.

There is an issue about whether A000045 should be named
Fibonacci Or Hemachandra numbers, and how do we decide?

But actually, I was really thinking about demographics, and guessing
that a census of OEIS would be heavily weighted toward Europe
and USA, with very few members from China, India, Korea, Taiwan,
Thai Land, Sri Lanka, Japan, etc. Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, turkey, etc.
And I also don’t think OEIS has many people from Africa.

A pro-scientific bias sounds desireable, but could be problematic.

The other day I was reading a butterfly article by Japanese authors.
It was published by Springer, and sounded to have been written by
Germans. The article fell short culturally, and I much preferred
another that included a discussion of endangerment to satoyama.
The author also included one paragraph on personal, childhood
recollections, of studying insects in satoyama before westernization
changed the landscape. This was a powerful rhetorical technique.

So I think there is a demonstrated, pro-western bias to OEIS, but
will listen if you have a rebuttal, especially regarding demographics.

—Brad