[seqfan] Re: Typo in B-file for A063539

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 22:48:57 CEST 2020

Jean-Paul Allouche has a point.

Empirically, the 3.76+ seems to be correct. In the B-file, a(10622) =
40000, and 40000/10622 = 3.76+.

But Schroeppel claims in HAKMEM 29 that the probability that the largest
prime factor of n exceeds sqrt(n) is ln 2 = 0.693147+. This would imply
that the asymptotic value of a(n)/n would be 3.25889+, as stated by
Allouche.

Could the problem be due to the fact that https://oeis.org/A063539 insists
on the largest prime factor being strictly less than the square root? That
is, could the discrepancy be attributable to numbers whose largest prime
factor is exactly the square root? No, because these are just the squares
of the primes, and their density is asymptotically 0. Just to be sure, I
checked https://oeis.org/A048098, which includes the squares of the primes.
Here, the asymptotic value of a(n)/n is also close to 3.76 (3.7518, to be
precise), and far from 3.26, the value predicted by Schroeppel.

To resolve this puzzle, we should (a) hear from Rich Schroeppel about how
the result was derived, and (b) inspect Tenenbaum and Wu, making sure that
they report the same result. Something is awry here. I can email
Schroeppel, but I can't read French mathematics.