[seqfan] Re: Broken link hunt

Elijah Beregovsky elijah.beregovsky at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 21:36:04 CEST 2020

Hi, Seqfans!

I've crawled OEIS some more (sorry, if that caused a load on the site) and
ended up with nearly eight hundred Error 404 throwing links. Then I started
processing them using the scheme that Georg laid out and found replacements
of various sorts for 180 of them or thereabouts in several hours. That is a
point against the hypothesis that finding fixes is impossible. Now I ask
again to change those links in OEIS (I only can edit 3 sequences at a time,
so that's not very efficient) and to give me some help in processing the
links.

Fun fact: several "rotten" links I processed, especially from mathworld,
were not dead. They were mere typos, like "Squence" or a singular instead
of a plural.

All this got me wondering: did the OEIS team research the link half life on
the encyclopedia? There's a hypothesis (with some empirical results in
support), that scientific links rot way slower than average.

Excel file with replacements:
https://github.com/BIGfoot496/OEIS-crawler/blob/master/broken.xlsx