[seqfan] Re: All 170 or so links to Erich Friedman's pages are now broken

Nick Ham nicholas.charles.ham at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 05:20:00 CEST 2020

Dear Sequence Fans,

Given what Stetson university have recently done, it seems worthwhile to
point out there are numerous free options for hosting personal (static)
websites these days and you do not need to worry about your home
institutions randomly deciding to delete them. Some of the best options I
think are:

   - https://github.com
   - https://gitlab.com
   - https://vercel.com
   - https://netlify.com

Without a custom domain you will get a url along the lines of
https://username.github.io, however if you purchase a domain (I recommend
https://namecheap.com) then you can link them up, even Vercel and Netlify
are free for personal (non-commercial) websites.

It has become quite popular for people to use static site generators for
personal websites these days. The most popular are NextJS, Gatsby and Hugo,
there is a page ranking some SSGs by number of GitHub stars at
https://staticgen.com/, it's also worth checking out https://jamstack.org/.

self-advertising (feel free to ignore): I personally make the world's
fastest SSG Nift (https://nift.dev, the website is generated with Nift
along with a pixelarity.com template, it has 249 pages and can do a full
build in under 0.1s, so under 0.5ms/page), I started it in the final year
of my PhD for making a personal website then worked on it while recovering
from a breakdown resulting from CP riddled piracy software. It can build
all of a basic 100k page website in ~11s, it can also do incremental builds
(just build the updated pages). My personal website https://n-ham.com is
also made with Nift along with a pixelarity.com template. Nift also has its
own in-built scripting language (f++) and template language (n++), along
with Lua(JIT) and ExprTk embedded, all four of which can access the same
variables etc. from within the same scripts. https://pastebin.com/5FM7Hzef this
f++ script can create and delete 100k empty files in ~3.5s whereas
https://pastebin.com/RTXXEHBg this bash script takes ~3m, so even the
scripting language can be very fast, not just the website generator part.
If anyone is interested in trying to put together a personal website with
Nift feel free to email me and I'm happy to assist.

Regards,
Nick Ham