[seqfan] Re: Erich Friedman links all repaired (I hope)

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 03:06:29 CEST 2020

Glad to hear that Erich's pages have found a new home.

> Erich Friedman moved all his pages to github (I gather it took a whole day
and was a maximally tedious and unpleasant task).

Once you get the hang of GitHub, it's fairly easy and quick. You make
changes on your local machine, then, when you're ready to update, git add .,
git commit -m "Description goes here", git push origin master. Or, on the
GitHub website, you can drag a bunch of files onto the upload area.

And then other people can make what's known as a "pull request." I'm
thinking of a pull request to add the following line to the first page:

So then that page won't look all small and crunched up on certain mobile
devices, like the Galaxy S9, or on the Firefox "mobile preview" of the
Galaxy S9. I've verified this simple addition does the trick on Firefox's
"mobile preview."

The OEIS could also use that line: if someone tries to do a simple OEIS
search (e.g., "2, 3, 5, 8, 13") on a mobile device they'll probably find
that it's difficult and it can wait until they can get back on a computer.
However, the OEIS also has a couple of very big problems for automatic
formatting (the so-called "responsive") that the "What's Special About This
Number" pages don't have.

Al

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 6:46 PM Neil Sloane <njasloane at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sequence Fans,
> Erich Friedman moved all his pages to github (I gather it took a whole day
> and was a maximally tedious and unpleasant task).
>
> He sent me instructions on how to correct the links.  I was able to do
> some of the work with global edits, and then by fine-tuning the tricky
> ones by hand.
>
> If someone would like to do some checking, that would be nice.
>
> I can also send his instructions to anyone who is interested (but I hope
> all the work has been done)

Alonso del Arte
Author at SmashWords.com
<https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/AlonsoDelarte>