[seqfan] Re: Xmas-challenge

David Corneth davidacorneth at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 12:17:00 CET 2020

Peter Luschny: "
*I like your observation. Have a look at my current draft. The lcms of
theexamples there are all in A025487. Maybe you can expand on that?"*

Thanks. I thought I couldn't but I can a bit. If we drop the upper bound
for a second then from one such sequence, like [3, 6, 2, 4, 1, 5] (taken
from one of your sequences), generate infinitely many of them.
A factor 3 can be assigned a factor p. A factor 2 the letter q and a factor
5 the letter r (for example, in order of appearance). And each letter will
be a different prime.

This gives [3, 6, 2, 4, 1, 5] = [p, p*q, q, q^2, 1, r].
Now we can freely assign values of primes to each letter. And if we have
such an expression we can choose any set of distinct primes. Most likely
the first three primes. Maybe this helps getting the number of such
sequences as well.
This assures that the lcm is at least from A055932 ("Numbers all of whose
prime divisors are consecutive primes starting at 2.") but with some more
thougths, can we prove it's from A025487?

I also made this (see below, from an earlier version of your example of
paths)
A * denotes "a number that's not in the previous row ('sequence')".
() denote: "the number in brackets occur in that order without any numbers
between them in the previous row".
R() denotes:  "the number in brackets occur reversed without any numbers
between them in the previous row"
I swapped some numbers so consecutive bits from the earlier row were
longer.
Like I swapped 4 and 8 in row 9.
Furthermore in row 7 i replaced an earlier 7 with a 5 as in earlier
discussion.
So looking at this row 16 to get to row 17 we'd miss 11, 13, 17. If we add
one new term we have one choice for the new number, namely 11. Adding 13 or
17 would be equivalent as they're new primes and have the same prime
signature.
Similar if we add two of them or three of them - there's one choice for
numbers.

*Can we generally create a new row from a previous row like this? *
*If some number m is new in row k (k > 1), are all its proper divisors in
row k-1?*
*Does it make sense to define use f(k, m) where f(k, m) is the number of
positive integers 1 <= t <= k such that (m|t or t|m) and t != m? *For
example f(6, 3) = 2 as t is in {1, 6}.

1:                  [1],

2:                 [2*, (1)],

3:                [(2, 1), 3*],

4:              [(2), 4*, (1, 3)],

5:              [(2, 4, 1, 3)],

6:           [(3), 6*, (2, 4, 1), 5*],

7:           [(3, 6, 2, 4, 1, 5)],

8:          [(3, 6, 2, 4), 8*, (1, 5)],

9:        [8, R(4, 2, 6, 3), 9*, (1, 5)],

10:     [(8, 4), (1, 5), 10*, (2, 6, 3, 9)],

11:     [(8, 4, 1, 5, 10, 2, 6, 3, 9)],

12:  [(5, 10, 2), (8, 4), 12*, (6, 3, 9), 1, 7*],

13:  [(5, 10, 2, 8, 4, 12, 6, 3, 9, 1, 7)] (IIRC earlier you had stopped
here and I made them myself. They differ from what you have now).

14:  [(5, 10, 2, 8, 4, 12, 6, 3, 9, 1, 7), 14*]

15: [R(6, 12, 4, 8, 2, 10, 5), 15*, (3, 9, 1, 7, 14)]

16: [(6, 12, 4), 16*, (8, 2, 10, 5, 15, 3, 9, 1, 7, 14)]

Best,
David