[seqfan] Re: Do we need an escape clause here?

Ami Eldar amiram.eldar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 08:17:05 CET 2020

Let f(n) = A000265(n) be the odd part of n.
Let p be the largest prime factor of k, and say k = p * m.
Suppose that k is not a power of 2, i.e., p > 2, then f(k) = p * f(m).
The iteration is k -> k + k/p = p*m + m = (p+1) * m. So, p * f(m) -> f(p+1)
* f(m).
Since for p > 2, f(p+1) < p, the odd part in each each iteration decreases,
until it becomes 1, i.e. until we reach a power of 2.