[seqfan] Re: Probability of identical sequences

Frank Adams-watters franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Jan 14 06:36:33 CET 2020

If two definitions in fact produce the same numbers in the same order, then they are in fact definitions of the same sequence. In such a case, both definitions should be included in the sequence entry. This is an important point: the sequence is the numbers, not the definition that produces the numbers.

The interesting case is where you can't prove that they are the same, buy can't (so far) find a difference. If sufficient testing has not shown a difference, the procedure in this case is to enter them as two separate sequences in the database. If a proof is later found that they are identical, one will be removed or marked as dead.

The question of probability is not meaningful. It is like asking if two randomly selected integers are equal.

In the example given, the equivalence is straightforward, and is in fact implied by my comments in A073675.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters