[seqfan] Re: Probability of identical sequences

Frank Adams-watters franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Jan 14 08:25:27 CET 2020

If we are talking about sequences in the OEIS, this is a question as much about psychology as about mathematics. What mental functioning makes what sequences more likely to be submitted and accepted?

Taking such a psychological but non-rigorous, approach, the probability that two sequences are identical if they agree for 50 or 100 terms is quite high; a bit higher for 100 than for 50. But really, the first thing to do is to compare the definitions. If they are dealing with the same sorts of things, such as divisibility here, the chance that they are the same is considerably higher. Also read the comments and formulas.

To avoid psychological elements, one can ask the question for a Turing machine or other computational methodology: what is the probability that two such produce the same output. (There are a few non-computable sequences in the database, but I think these can be ignored for this purpose.) (We have to take the limit as the complexity of the calculation increases, and there is no obvious proof that the limit exists. I think it is provable, but I would need to think about it for a bit.) However, this number is certainly not computable.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters