[seqfan] Is the Seqfan archive permanantly defunct?

David Seal david.j.seal at gwynmop.com
Wed Jan 15 11:35:36 CET 2020

My question is prompted by Thomas Baruchel's comment in another thread:

> I recently asked about the Binomial Modulo 2 transform and got a nice answer
> from N.J.A. Sloane; I would have liked making some reference to an archived
> version of his reply, but strangely I couldn't see it in the archive of the
> mailing list; I thank him again. ...

Comparing the numbers of Seqfan postings in my email files and in the Seqfan archive at http://list.seqfan.eu/pipermail/seqfan/, the latter matches the former closely enough (i.e. allowing for possible counting errors and time-zone-induced discrepancies) up to and including April 2018, but is under ~10% of the former from May 2018 onwards - for example, I've received 65 Seqfan emails so far this month, but this month's archive currently contains only 3 of them. I.e. it looks as if the archives stopped archiving the vast majority of Seqfan mails (90%+ of them) in May 2018.

This was noted at the time (in a posting that didn't get archived...) and a reply (ditto) suggested that the problem was being worked on and the archive would be rebuilt when the work was done. Is this still the case, or has fixing the problem been abandoned?

Whatever the situation is about this, I would suggest that an explanatory note after "To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit the SeqFan Archives." in http://list.seqfan.eu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seqfan would be a good idea. Without it, people who encounter Seqfan for the first time and take a look at the archives to see what it's like are liable to get a very misleading impression of a pretty inactive list whose contents are highly disconnected...

David