[seqfan] Re: Probability of identical sequences

Fred Lunnon fred.lunnon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 18:13:23 CET 2020

  I initially ignored this thread on the grounds that the question
was incapable of precise mathematical formulation.  But today I
came across the following, which suggests my judgement may
have been premature:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmic_probability

Googling << Algorithmic Probability Universal Distribution >>
turns up several papers on this topic, aka "Solomonoff probability".

WFL

On 1/18/20, jean-paul allouche <jean-paul.allouche at imj-prg.fr> wrote:
> [...]
> condition on the type of
> sequences (à la Zeilberger, within a given framework two infinite
> sequences are equal as
> soon as they coincide on a small number of initial terms); this last
> point will certainly not
> work in the most general case, given the diversity of the sequences in
> the OEIS.
>
> best
> jpa
>
> Le 16/01/2020 à 04:19, Ali Sada via SeqFan a écrit :
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Thank you again for your responses.
>> The two options of 1 and 0 happen only if we have a definitive answer. The
>> probability is 1 if we can prove the connection, and 0 if we can find a
>> counter example. But that's not the case all the time.
>>
>> My question was not about randomness.  I don’t think that randomness is an
>> element in the OEIS sequences. The OEIS has less then 400,000 sequences
>> carefully selected based on specific mathematical algorithms. The
>> sequences belong to different categories, but they are not random.
>>
>> I would respectfully disagree with Frank’s comment. I think looking at the
>> “odds” is an important factor if we want to decide whether to study
>> potential connections between two sequences or not.
>>
>> The deciding factors include, but not limited to:
>>
>> 1)    The number of similar terms. Obviously we would be more inclined to
>> find connection between two sequences that share 50 terms rather than
>> sequences that share 10 terms.
>>
>> 2)    The values of the identical terms. Even if the two sequences share
>> only five terms, for example, we would be more interested if those term
>> were 14356, 78098, 342789, 679838, 329019. We won’t be that interested if
>> the five terms were 2, 4, 7, 9 ,11.
>>
>> 3)    The type of algorithms or concepts that produced the two sequences.
>> If we were studying partitions and we somehow get these terms 2, 4, 6, 10,
>> 14, 22, 30 it wouldn’t be big surprise. However, if we get the same terms
>> while we were working on prime numbers, then we would definitely pay more
>> attention to connection.
>>

>> Best,
>>
>> Ali
>>

>>      On Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 9:12:04 PM EST, Frank Adams-watters
>> via SeqFan <seqfan at list.seqfan.eu> wrote:
>>
>>   If we find 50 or 100 identical terms at the start of two sequences with
>> different definitions, this is an invitation for further study, The object
>> is to either:
>>
>> 1) Find a difference, or
>>
>> 2) Prove that the sequences are the same.
>>
>> (2) is the more interesting possibility. But until one or the other of
>> these can be shown, it is incomplete. (There is always the possibility
>> that it will stay undecided, of course.)
>>
>> In other words, who cares what the odds are? This is mathematics. We care
>> about proofs, not probabilities.*
>>
>> Franklin T. Adams-Watters
>>
>> * Of course, there are exceptions, the only one I can think of

>>> a(1)=2 and a(2)=1.
>>> a(3)=6 and a(6)=3