[seqfan] Re: Fractal sequence A087088

David Sycamore djsycamore at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 15 21:54:58 CEST 2020

Coming a bit late to this discussion, I have a question concerning the definition of what is meant by a “fractal” sequence? Could there be more than one different interpretation of this term?

According to one definition, currently described in oeis, a sequence is fractal if, when all first occurrences are removed, what remains is the original sequence (which means that it contains a proper subsequence identical to itself).

Removal of all first occurrences from A087088 gives:
1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 2,1, 4, 2, 1, 3, 1...
which is not the same as the original.

Can anybody explain why A087088 is considered to be fractal?
Best regards,
David.