[seqfan] Re: Fractal sequence A087088

M. F. Hasler seqfan at hasler.fr
Tue Jul 21 15:48:29 CEST 2020

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 5:19 AM Frank Adams-watters wrote:

> I have tried to push that idea before, and gotten nowhere with it. For
> what it's worth, I'll support it now.
> Perhaps what we need is a word for the looser, non-rigorous definition.
> Might I suggest "fractaloid"? If that's too ugly, I'm open to other
> suggestions.

I favour much Jean-Paul's view on this subject :
let's not mix up "fractal" and "self-similar" ;
"reproduces itself modulo some shift / scaling / rotation"
is clearly (couldn't be more) an instance of "self-similarity"
(a convincing reason to use this terminology rather than any other!)
and not (a priori) related to "fractal", even if one might object that
a) some fractals are self-similar
 (but most of them only (very) approximately)
b) the adjective "fractal" (maybe) isn't well-defined yet and there could
be a way of including "our case" in a (new and/or better(?)) definition.
(That looks quite arbitrary / contrived to me, given the well-established
notion of self-similarity.
Sounds much like "I want to call it 'fractal' and not 'self-similar'
whatever reasons suggest the contrary.")

- Maximilian