[seqfan] Re: Polyominoes (A000105, A000988, A001168) - offset problem

Oscar Cunningham mail at oscarcunningham.com
Thu Jun 25 15:38:36 CEST 2020

Hi all,

One of the defining features of polyominos is that they're connected.
But I believe the correct convention is that the empty set is not
connected. This is for the same reason that 1 is not a prime number.
Good expositions of this idea are found in Harary and Read's 'Is the
null-graph a pointless concept?'
(https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/BFb0066433) and the nLab page
'too simple to be simple'
(https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/too+simple+to+be+simple).

So we should say that there is no polyomino of size 0.

Best,

Oscar Cunningham