[seqfan] Fwd: Canonical bijection from positive integers to positive rationals.

Frank Adams-watters franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Mar 2 18:18:35 CET 2020

Franklin T. Adams-Watters

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Adams-watters <franktaw at netscape.net>
To: njasloane <njasloane at gmail.com>
Sent: Mon, Mar 2, 2020 11:17 am
Subject: Re: [seqfan] Canonical bijection from positive integers to positive rationals.

Let me back off a minute here. I am planning on submitting a number of sequences encapsulating functions on positive rationals. Do we have a standard way to do this? If not, what should the standard be?

I would think that one needs to choose a bijection s: Z+ -> Q+, and then if the function is f() the sequence is a(n) = f(s(n)). It was my understanding that the "canonical" bijection was precisely the s() to use for this. If not, then I don't understand what "canonical" means in a sequence.

I am familiar with Stern-Brocot, and I agree that it is very beautiful. I didn't include it in the original message because it doesn't claim to be canonical. If we wind up using it for this purpose, I will have no objection.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters