[seqfan] Re: Numbers of the form n*(n+k)

David Seal david.j.seal at gwynmop.com
Thu Mar 19 16:30:37 CET 2020

I agree with Neil - though since I'm fairly certain I've never come across "oblong number" before in the ~55 years since I first encountered "square number" and "triangular number", I think there's a good case to be made that the old law has been broken in the past!

And I would add another law that "if new terminology is needed, thou shalt modify related existing terminology in preference to inventing entirely new terminology". For instance, various modifications of the idea of "perfect number" have been created, and their names are modifications of the term, such as "k-perfect number", "k-imperfect number", "semiperfect number", "hemiperfect number", "hyperperfect number", "superperfect number", etc.

So if you really do feel that you need terminology for this concept, I'd suggest basing it on the existing "oblong number", e.g. by using "k-oblong number" for numbers of the form n(n+k), rather than on an essentially new term such as "product number".

David