[seqfan] Elimination game in a square of integers

Ali Sada pemd70 at yahoo.com
Fri May 1 18:22:23 CEST 2020

Hi Everyone,
We take the numbers from 1 to n^2 and put them in a square. Starting with 1, and moving as a chess king, each number in its tern takes out the largest number it can get.
a(n) is the largest remaining number.

For example, in a 3 by 3 square we have the following moves:
1 takes out 5
2 takes out 6
3 takes out 2
4 takes out 8
7 takes out 4
9 takes out 7
1 takes out 9
and 3 takes out 1.
a(3) = 3

I usually make mistakes when I calculate the terms, so I would really appreciate it if you could help me with this. I would love to know if there is a pattern here. Also, I want to check if this is a suitable sequence for the OEIS.

Best,

Ali