[seqfan] Re: Elimination game in a square of integers

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Fri May 1 20:29:29 CEST 2020

I was able to follow Ali Sada's explanation perfectly. Perhaps it would
clarify things to say: the board is initialized with n^2 chess kings,
numbered in raster order. The kings retain their labels after they move.
They take turns moving; after king "n^2" moves, king 1 gets to move again.
If a king has already been captured, or has no captures available to it, it
passes its turn. On each turn, a king captures the highest-labeled king
available. Play continues until no remaining king can capture; the "winner"
is the highest-numbered king remaining.

For the 1x1 board, the winner is 1.

For the 2x2 board, the winner is 1 (ends on cell 3).

For the 3x3 board, the winner is 3 (ends on cell 8).

For the 4x4 board, I believe the winner is 2; king 2 ends on cell 8, and
king 1 is still on the board at cell 15, but they cannot attack each other.