[seqfan] Re: Antichains and RAM

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Wed May 6 05:56:22 CEST 2020

That's a nice approach!  Makes sense.  Just FYI, I wrote a Python
program for this, and it confirmed the values you reported:

1, 1, 1, 2, 12, 133, 11386, 12143511.

Memory use is trivial - because I wrote my own FindClique work-a-like
so didn't have to store anything anywhere ;-)

a(8) has been running over 5 hours now, and has gotten to over 2.5
billion.  The top level recursion computed a list of 37 nodes to
traverse, and is only on the 5th of them now.  So there's no quick end
in sight.  Indeed, it's found over 2 billion answers since the last
time the top level loop advanced.  It finds another million about
every 9 seconds.

I won't be able to let this run overnight.  If anyone is inspired to
do something similar, I'm using the Bron-Kerbosch algorithm to
enumerate maximal cliques.  The "pivot" variation is very valuable in
this context.  Also using degeneracy ordering at the top level seems
to _hurt_, though - this is very far from a sparse graph with limited
connectivity.