[seqfan] Re: Don't forget the Index to the OEIS - for linear recurrences regenerated

Georg.Fischer georg.fischer at t-online.de
Sat May 9 15:49:15 CEST 2020

Dear Seq Fans,

<https://oeis.org/w/index.php?title=Index_to_OEIS:_Section_Rec>
is now regenerated and up-to-date again by merging the
existing index with all the LINK section entries of the form

   "Index entries for linear recurrences with constant coefficients,
   signature (...)"

in the sequences.
Sorry that I did not re-run the process earlier this year.
----
I support Antti's proposal below that you enter at least a
standard link to the index in the sequence, even if you are
reluctant to maintain the index wiki page itself, which in this
case is huge and in a special (tricky) sort order.

But adding the link in the sequence creates the opportunity for
some automatic mechanism to collect all the pertinent entries
for some type of index page.

Regards - Georg

Am 09.05.2020 um 10:30 schrieb Antti Karttunen:
> On 5/9/20, Neil Sloane <njasloane at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear Seq Fans, we accept about 1000 new sequences each month, often more.
>>
>> But no one ever remembers to update the Index!  Even I do not do that.
>
> To make it easier for ones who update the Index, we can all try to
> remember to add any appropriate index-links (those that have their own
> "anchor") to the Links-section of the sequences we either edit or
> submit. Also, if one is reviewing a submission by another person, then
> I think one may well add any obviously appropriate links to the Index.
>
> For example, here are a few that I have sometimes used:

> Collatz) problem</a>
> that are permutations of the natural numbers</a>
> binary expansion of n</a>
> cellular automata</a>
> polynomials in ring GF(2)[X)</a>
> related to sums of divisors</a>
> Matula-Goebel numbers</a>
> computed from indices in prime factorization</a>
> related to primorial numbers</a>
> to primorial base</a>
> factorial base representation</a>
> exponents in factorization of n</a>
> Stern's sequences</a>
> perfect numbers must occur, if they exist at all</a>
> entries for sequences which agree for a long time but are
> different</a>
> etc, etc.
>
> Of course I don't always know or remember that there such an
> index-entry exists for a given sequence. But in any case, when such
> links are present, then updating the Index is much easier, as one can
> just search from main OEIS search-field with keywords like "link:3x1"
> "author:2019|author:2020" to find if there are any new Collatz-related
> sequences submitted since Jan 1 2019, and update them "in batch mode"
> to the Index. Provided of course that people remember to add such
> index links.
>
> Still one big missing thing from the Index is the "hover over" display
> of titles we have on main OEIS site. Meanwhile, we could try to make
> the Index more user-friendly than just throwing a lots of opaque
> A-numbers into a big heap. E.g., when I created the index entry for
> "Factorial base representation" (
> https://oeis.org/wiki/Index_to_OEIS:_Section_Fa#facbase )
> I tried to make it as clear as possible, separating sequences where
> a(n) is a function of the factorial base representation of n, from
> those that list particular terms whose factorial base representation
> satisfies a certain pattern.
>
> Maybe the decimal expansion related sequences could be similarly
> reorganized and extended? (will be big!):
> https://oeis.org/wiki/Index_to_OEIS:_Section_De#decimal_expansion
> But I leave it for decimal base fans, as I am not expert in that field.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Antti
>

>> The index is https://oeis.org/wiki/Index
>> <https://oeis.org/wiki/Index_to_OEIS:_Section_De> and there is a link to it
>> at the bottom of every OEIS page.

> [...]

Dr. Georg Fischer, Rotteckring 19, D-79341 Kenzingen
Tel. (07644) 913016, +49 175 160 7788, www.punctum.com