[seqfan] Re: Maximizing product for a fixed sum n

Brendan McKay Brendan.McKay at anu.edu.au
Tue Oct 20 07:20:29 CEST 2020

For the case of a sum of real numbers, if there is an integer m
in the interval ( n/e+1/2, n/e+1/2+e/(24n)+e^3/(1920n^3) )
then (n/m)^m > (n/(m-1))^(m-1) even though m is further from n/e.

However I can't find any n with an integer in that range.  I tried
up to 10^11 but some rounding error could have caused me to
miss one.

As Franklin says, the continued fraction of e is relevant.

Brendan.