[seqfan] Re: Farey series of order 0

Fred Lunnon fred.lunnon at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 19:59:08 CET 2021

  One of the benefits of my training in computer science has been the
ability to
distinguish (for example) between an address and the value stored at that
address,
or between the identifier of variable and its value.  In the world outside
such
special disciplines, such distinctions are commonly ignored, dismissed as
irrelevant, or completely overlooked --- so generating much avoidable
obfuscation.
  It seems to me that the apparent difficulty here results from conflating
two concepts:
an  n-th order (finite) sequence of pairs of integers, versus a sequence of
rational numbers which it commonly is utilised to represent.  However,
although
the two coincide throughout an important and useful subset of instances,
outside of that they diverge; analogous situations arise not infrequently
in
mathematics, and particularly among special values of integer sequences.
  By all means, this particular case should be examined and flagged;
but I can see no justification for alteration of an existing entry which
has not
clearly been compromised by unintentional computational error!

WFL