[seqfan] Re: Conjecture about A127750

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 02:58:32 CET 2021

Two responses:

First, to Jean-Paul Allouche: I looked up a Hilbert/Cauchy determinant
explanation, and I think it's unfortunately not applicable in this case,
though I can absolutely see why you thought of it. In this case, the
original infinite matrix M is lower-triangular, so the inverse M' is also.
That means that the "determinant", insofar as the concept applies to
infinite matrices, is just the product of the main diagonal entries. In the
case of M, that product is 1 * (1/3) * (1/5) * (1/7) * ..., and the product
converges rapidly to 0. Similarly, the determinant of M' is the product of
the main diagonal entries, which is 1 * 3 * 5 * 7 * ... which diverges
rapidly. So the whole matrix M doesn't really have a well-defined
determinant, though it is invertible.

Second, to Robert Israel and Neil Sloane: My skills as a LaTician have been
rusting for more than 30 years. Unless I could get a co-author, I think I'm
going to have to stick with a text file uploaded to OEIS. (Probably it
would be most appropriate to co-author with Paul Barry, who first proposed
the sequence, and I have sent him email with a preliminary query. But I
don't know if he's still interested in this sequence 13 years later.)

Thanks to everybody; I'm going to crawl off and write now.