[seqfan] Re: Sequence related to jittery function

Andrew Hone A.N.W.Hone at kent.ac.uk
Thu Feb 11 19:00:50 CET 2021

Dear Jens,

It may not help much, but you could try to consider each map j_n in a slightly wider context, as a piecewise affine map of the plane R^2. In other words, the definition of j_n makes sense for any pair of real numbers (a,b), and it is just a linear map for a+b<=n, and a composition of a linear map and a translation for a+b>n.

You say that the map is "not too artificial". The thing that looks strange to me is the fact that you add 1 to the second component: it would be more natural to take

(b-a,2n-b-a)

as the formula for a+b>n, because then the two formulae would agree when a+b=n, and then the map would be continuous on R^2, and might behave better. It might be worth comparing the integer orbits of your map with this one to see if there is anything special about the distribution of periods.

Another map to compare with is the linear map on the torus:

(a,b) |-> (b-a,b+a) mod n.

There is quite a lot of literature in dynamical systems/number theory about the latter.

All the best,
Andy