[seqfan] Re: The gerrymandering sequence A341578 needs better explanation

Andrew Weimholt andrew.weimholt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 12:32:54 CET 2021

I think a visual example will help - see the attached PDF file.

The sequence is the minimum number of individual votes out of N^2 that
"A" needs to win in order to defeat "B", in an election where the winner is
determined
not by individual votes, but by districts won, and where the districts are
optimally
gerrymandered in favor of A.

Districts must be equally sized, so the number of districts and votes
(cells) per
district must both be divisors of N^2.

Districts are won by a simple majority of votes within the district, and
tied
districts go to neither candidate.

The shape of the 'grid' as an NxN square is irrelevant, though it may be
useful
as a visualization aid. All that really matters is that we want to
gerrymander
N^2 individual voters into of N^2/D sets of size D, where D | N^2.

Andrew Weimholt