[seqfan] Re: The gerrymandering sequence A341578 needs better explanation

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 20:11:26 CET 2021

> We have a(2*n-1) = n^2 and a(k) <= a(k+1) so the asymptotic behaviour
would
be a(n) = c*n^2 for some c right?

No, that's not right. As it says in A341578:

 What is the asymptotic behavior of a(n)? - N. J. A. Sloane
<https://oeis.org/wiki/User:N._J._A._Sloane>, Feb 20 2021. Answer from Don
Reble <https://oeis.org/wiki/User:Don_Reble>, Feb 26 2020: The lower bound
is [(n^2+1)/4 + n/2]; the upper bound is [n^2/4 + n]. Each bound is reached
infinitely often. In general the best choice for d is not unique, since d
and n/d give the same answer.

Maybe you meant a(n) = O(n^2).

By the way, A341721 is a better version of the sequence.

Best regards
Neil

Email: njasloane at gmail.com