[seqfan] Re: newbie questions regarding slightly modifying OEIS entries

Sean A. Irvine sairvin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 21:13:44 CET 2021

Hi Andre,

I can have a stab at your questions.

In general, if you have proposals regarding specific sequences, then simply
edit those sequences and propose the changes.  They will then be reviewed
etc. and there is an opportunity at that point in time to discuss the
merits of the change.  Most changes will also require you to "sign" the
change, correction, addition, etc.  Look in the Wiki for more details:

https://oeis.org/wiki/Style_Sheet

With regard to cross references, we do not require they be symmetric.  This
is particularly important for certain core sequences, for example, many
sequences reference the primes (A000040) but we certainly do not want
A000040 pointing at every sequence mentioning primes.  Note that from a
sequence, you can get all those that point at it by clicking the "refs"
link following the Data.  The specific ones you suggest may make sense.

Essentially every change is reviewed by at least one person.  For a more
complicated change, it is not unusual for multiple editors to comment.

Long-lived sequence numbers are not reused or reallocated  (old sequences
can sometimes be marked "dead" if they turn out to be erroneous or
duplicates).  Newer sequences are sometimes reassigned -- usually because a
sequence is rejected or found to be a duplicate.  It's a judgement call
based on how likely it could be that the sequence number has been used
elsewhere.  Thus, the only opportunity to assign similar sequence numbers
to related sequences is when they are first submitted.

One last point, if you are a new user you will have a limited number of
edits you can active at any one time.  So you will want to be selective
about the changes you propose.  I would recommend starting with a simple
change, until you understand the process.

Hope this helps,
Sean.