[seqfan] Re: -5 is not a prime

jean-paul allouche jean-paul.allouche at imj-prg.fr
Sun Jan 3 19:04:46 CET 2021

Dear Neil, dear all

The convention that -1 might be considered as a prime has been used,
e.g., by Conway in his book "The Sensual (Quadratic) Form". On Page 95
for example he writes "Note that we treat -1 as a prime just like the
others...".
On Page 104, he writes "This includes the case p=-1 if by "prime to -1" we
mean "positive"". This is also used to define Kronecker symbols
generalizing
Legendre symbols. In other words, it makes several definitions etc.
"simpler",
but should certainly not be used without caution, as you say about unique
factorizations.

Best wishes
Happy New Year!
jean-paul