[seqfan] Re: -5 is not a prime

Robert Gerbicz robert.gerbicz at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 19:34:14 CET 2021

"This is wrong, and dangerous (it has led people to make mistakes in
sequences).
If negative numbers were primes we would lose unique factorization, a
cornerstone of mathematics."

No, you're wrong, check out
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_factorization_domain
, say 5 and -5 are associated so the factorization of 15=3*5=(-5)*(-3) up
to ordering and association is the same.
And https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_element .

Neil Sloane <njasloane at gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. jan. 3., V,
18:02):