[seqfan] -5 is not a prime - END OF TOPIC

Olivier Gerard olivier.gerard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 12:28:04 CET 2021

Dear Members,

Ok. This is now enough for this topic which is deriving too much on matters
of taste and individual background.
As his my privilege I will put on moderation anyone not already moderated
going on about this after this message.

The adjective and noun prime are not an absolute in mathematics even if a
long tradition, linked to the classical
way one is usually introduced to arithmetic, use them in the narrow sense
of prime for the positive integers.

Some posts have already explained clearly that there are mathematical
situations where prime, irreducible, etc.
have not the same meaning, and we are not to comment on implementation
choices of various software : just
be aware of them for the scientific purpose of the OEIS.

Jean-Paul Allouche has given a fair proposal : in places where ambiguity
may arise, as has been demonstrated
with some programming languages and various algebraic structures, we answer
by more precision, standardized
mentions in the sequences descriptions and sequence comments and warnings
in the stylesheets for authors and editors.

With my best regards and all my wishes for the new year,
Yours truly,

Olivier GERARD
Seqfan List Administrator