[seqfan] Re: Density of Fermat weak pseudoprimes k to a base d, where d|k and 1<d<k

Tomasz Ordowski tomaszordowski at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 09:46:27 CET 2021

P.S. Professor Carl Pomerance further notes:
_________
The density of numbers du where d>1, u>1, d==1 (mod u)
is definitely smaller than 0.626, though I'm not sure
how much smaller.  For a fixed u the density is 1/u^2,
and the sum of all of these is pi^2/6 - 1.  But there is
overlap.  For example u=2 already handles all of the
cases when u == 2 (mod 4), so an upper bound for the
density of my subset is pi^2/6 - 1 - (1/4)(pi^2/8 - 1) < 0.587.
________
There are other families of positive density that would need to
be brought into play.  For example, say k=du where u is an odd
prime, d is a quadratic residue mod u and also d == 1 (mod (u-1)/2).
An example would be 28, where u = 7, d = 4.  I guess there are
also cubic residues to consider and so on.  With luck, this
process might converge.

   I am grateful to him for these remarks and comments.
T. Ordowski

śr., 20 sty 2021 o 15:09 Tomasz Ordowski <tomaszordowski at gmail.com>