[seqfan] Re: Triangles of sums

jnthn stdhr jstdhr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 16:37:54 CEST 2021

Maybe this will help...

  For each element in a triangle, consider all partitions of that element
that have exactly two parts (possible children).  For n=2, place 2 at the
apex to form a one-row triangle:

2

Now try adding new row(s):

  2
1 1

  This is not valid and we have no more partitions to try, so a(2) = 1

  But if all children can have distinct children then we have a new and
complete row and the triangle(s) of lesser height are "incomplete."

  Let's look at possible triangles for a(9), which include the first
*successful* use of backtracking:

                                    9          9                     9
        9      9      9        6 3       6 3       9        5 4
9    8 1   7 2   6 3    5 1 2    4 2 1    5 4     2 3 1

  Because we *can* have more than one row the first triangle is dropped.
The next two are valid and have no possible children, so we count them.
The fourth one is dropped because the next two utilize backtracking to find
solutions with *more* than two rows.  The seventh one is dropped because we
find one solution with more than two rows.  So we end up with a(9) = 5:

                    9          9          9
  9      9      6 3       6 3       5 4
8 1   7 2   5 1 2    4 2 1    2 3 1

Hope this helps.