[seqfan] Re: When is a sequence a list?

Rainer Rosenthal r.rosenthal at web.de
Sat Jul 24 15:01:44 CEST 2021

Am 24.07.2021 um 10:30 schrieb Felix Fröhlich:
> ... Does the property of a sequence being a list or not only depend on
> the definition used for the sequence?
Each sequence is a list and vice versa.
Sometimes we call them 'list', and sometimes we call them 'sequence'.
Whenever you have a description or (even better) a formula to express
term a(n) in terms of n, then you will call that thing a 'sequence'.
The 'sequence of square numbers' a(n) = n^2 is a nice example.
The 'sequence of primes' is another well known example. I don't have a
formula for a(n), so it might be better called the 'list of primes'?
Yes, it is all about the definition: why call a series of numbers just
'list' when you have a description for the n-th term?
You will proudly call it the sequence "A987654: a(n) is ...".

Cheers,
Rainer

P.S.
"expressing the terms a(n) in terms of n"
is so much funnier than
"die Terme a(n) in Abhaengigkeit von n angeben"