[seqfan] Re: No progress on the classic "Football pools" problem in 52 years

Benoît Jubin benoit.jubin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 12:21:04 CEST 2021

Thanks Neil for the reference, which readily answers the question.  On page
286 of that book, section "11.1 Perfect linear codes over \F_q", paragraph
"Hamming codes", it says that Hamming codes exist in theses dimensions and
are perfect, which is what we want ("perfect" means that the balls do not
overlap).  So you may add to the sequence page:
DATA: a(0) = 1
OFFSET: 0
COMMENTS (or FORMULA ?): a((3^m-1)/2) = 3^((3^m-1)/2 - m) follows from the
existence of Hamming codes in these dimensions (see page 286 of [Cohen et
al.]).

There are also many lower and upper bounds and asymptotics in this book,
and some of them probably apply to the current sequence. (I won't have time
to look at them more closely at the moment, but anyone reading this is
encouraged to do so.)  One caveat: the book calls "sphere" what is actually
a "ball"... very unusual and puzzling until you discover it.

Best,
Benoît