[seqfan] Re: No progress on the classic "Football pools" problem in 52 years

Benoît Jubin benoit.jubin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 20:27:24 CEST 2021

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 3:42 PM Tomasz Ordowski <tomaszordowski at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Conjecture: a((3^n+1)/2) = 3^((3^n+1)/2 - n) for n > 0.

Can you explain your reasoning ?  It's obviously an upper bound since
trivially a(n+1) <= 3a(n), but that looks like a lot of overlap.  Did you
study the structure of the Hamming codes in dimension (3^m-1)/2 ?  The
problem is that it's possible that there exist perfect non-Hamming codes ?
Or it's also possible that none of the three "layers" are actually covered
by the balls centered in these layers ?

Using the known lower and upper bounds and the existence of perfect Hamming
codes, we have
  ceil(3^n/(2n+1)) <= a(n) <= 3^(n-floor(log_3(2n+1))) for n>=0
but beyond that, I'm stuck.

Benoît