[seqfan] Re: Recurrences for continued fractions of sqrt(k)?

Jan Ritsema van Eck j.ritsemavaneck at planet.nl
Wed Mar 24 18:21:09 CET 2021

Dear seqfans,

Following up on Georg’s question below, I have a question about A003285 (period of the continued fraction of the square root of n, or 0 if n is a square). Here, the same generating function and linear recurrence are mentioned:

Apparently the generating function of the sequence for the denominators of continued fraction convergents to sqrt(n) is always rational and of form p(x)/[1 - C*x^m + x^(2m)], or equivalently, the denominators satisfy the linear recurrence b(n+2m) = C*b(n+m) - b(n).

This is clear and is identical to the statement in A006702. Then it continues:

If so, then it seems that a(n) is half the value of m for each nonsquare n, or 0.

I am not sure if I understand what is meant here. It seems to me that m in the generating function and linear recurrence is meant to to be the period of the continued fraction of sqrt(n). But in that case, the statement that "a(n) is half the value of m" does not make sense, since a(n) is by the definition of the sequence equal to the period of the continued fraction of sqrt(n) and so to m. Did I misinterpret the meaning of m, or am I missing something else? Or can we delete the second sentence as incorrect?

Thanks for any help,
Jan