[seqfan] Re: The mysterious Layman sequences

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Fri May 14 00:13:16 CEST 2021

And a second message from Remy said that he has checked the formula out to
n = 85000

That's fairly strong evidence, so can we prove it?   Let's define a
sequence S by the recurrence, with the appropriate initial values.  Then we
have explicit Binet-type formulas for S(2i) and S(2i+1).
The zeros of x^4-10*x^2+1 are 3^(1/2)-2^(1/2), -3^(1/2)+2^(1/2),
3^(1/2)+2^(1/2), -3^(1/2)-2^(1/2),
or numerically 0.317837246, -0.317837246, 3.146264370, -3.146264370.
Presumably it then follows that S(j) <= c*S(j+1), which should be easy to
check, and will prove one half of what we need.
The other half?  I'm not sure!