[seqfan] Re: Very nice new sequence A329126 [1, 6, 42, 60, 139810, 126, ...]

David Seal david.j.seal at gwynmop.com
Thu Nov 11 17:30:48 CET 2021

I suspect the current wording arose because the sequence isn't really a sequence of integers, but a sequence of representations of integers. E.g. if the sequence is read in base 2, it is the sequence of integers (represented in decimal):

1, 6, 42, 60, 139810, 126, ...

but if read in base 3, it is the sequence of integers (represented in decimal):

1, 12, 273, 360, 130754415, 1092, ...

and if read in base 4, it is the sequence of integers (represented in decimal):

1, 20, 1092, 1360, 17247241220, 5460, ...

etc. So "a(n) is the least positive integer which yields a multiple of n when read in any base" isn't accurate because you don't read integers in bases, but instead read digit strings in bases. But I agree that the current wording, while recognising that fact, made a worse mistake with "lexicographically earliest"...

I think it needs something like "the least positive integer whose decimal representation can be read in any numeric base (so consists of only 0s and 1s) and always yields a multiple of n when read in any numeric base".

David