[seqfan] Re: Almost a proof for Olson's A347113

Robert Gerbicz robert.gerbicz at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 13:25:32 CET 2021

OK, it also has a hole, correction, similar to Neil's idea.
What I've left out in [3] is that in the definition you can't choose
a(n)=a(n-1)+1, [of course the reason is that otherwise a(n)=n would be the
sequence].

What happens if u=(2^k-1)*(2*m+1)=a(n-1)+1 ?
We can still choose v=(2^k-3)*(2*m+1) if k>1 and for this v>=a(n)/4.  Now
we have 2 odd candidates, and both of them can't be equal to a(n-1)+1. The
rest is the same.

But there is no similar argument for k=1, so now we can assume that
a(n)=2*(2*m+1) and a(n-1)=2*m for all n>N (with different m values)
The solution of this easy recursion:
a(N+c)=2^c*(a(N)+2)-2 for all c>=0.

We know that there is no infinite long Cunningham chain using primes
so for infinitely many c values we see that
x=a(N+c)+1=2^c*(a(N)+2)-1 is composite.
Let p<=sqrt(x) be the smallest prime divisor of x
then all p,2p,...,(x/p-1)*p would be a good candidate for a(N+c+1), all of
these are less than x, so can't be a(N+c)+1.
And should appear among a(1),...,a(N+c), because we have selected a larger
number a(N+c+1)=2*x; hence:

x/p-1<=N+c  but x/p>=sqrt(x)>=2^(c/2) so:
2^(c/2)-1<=N+c, that is a contradiction for large c value (N is fixed).

And now the proof is complete with the corrected [3] step.

Robert Gerbicz <robert.gerbicz at gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. nov.
15., H, 11:35):