[seqfan] Re: How many squares can you make from n points in the plane?

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 05:27:33 CEST 2021

I didn't think of the unconstrained version. Now that you suggest it,
though, I'm very curious to know: if you initialize with a gridded
collection of points, would the best new point ever be off the grid? If it
were, I think it has to have rational coordinates, and thus could be
captured in a new, finer grid.

I am having trouble explaining my skepticism that the unconstrained version
adds any actual possibilities. And yet, in the superficially similar
problem of maximally-dense unit distance graphs (see
https://oeis.org/A186705), I think the ungridded problem definitely gives
denser solutions. Is there a sequence already for the gridded analog of
A186705?