[seqfan] Re: How many squares can you make from n points in the plane?

Benoît Jubin benoit.jubin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 00:54:19 CEST 2021

Sascha:

Regarding the proof: for the moment, I stopped reading at "If x=3,
there is at most one new square that intersects O in cardinality
>=3.", which is not true (take a full 10x10 square and remove three
corners).  Maybe you mean something else ?  Do you have a pdf, that
you may send me privately ?

Regarding the computer generated larger values: what does the comment
"octagon" mean in the table for discs ? Can you provide a "merged"
table, with columns [ n ; S ; S/n^2 ; comment ] where S is the number
of grid-squares for the best known configuration and "comment"
describes the best known configuration (typically "disc" or "(k,
l)-octagon" where k (resp. l) is the length of the horizontal and
vertical (resp. slanted) sides in the L^\infty norm, or both or more
if there is a tie) ?

Thanks,
Benoît