[seqfan] Re: How many squares can you make from n points in the plane?

hv at crypt.org hv at crypt.org
Wed Oct 6 14:46:59 CEST 2021

"Kurz, Sascha" <Sascha.Kurz at uni-bayreuth.de> wrote:
:n    S    n^2/S    comment
:1    0
:2    0
:3    0
:4    1    16,00    circle(4)
:100    887    11,27    circle(97)+ext

For what it's worth, I've been running my code (trying all 1- and 2-point
extensions recursively from a unit square) with a fixed maximum number
of iterations over the same 1..100 range; Sascha Kurz's list in all cases
finds same or better solutions than my effort, which has reached 10^8
iterations for 1..85, and 10^7 iterations for 86..100.

So I'll stop trying to generate results for now, and see if I can get
any further with analysis. :)

Hugo